Thursday, October 6, 2016

Maria Sharapova's drugs ban cut to 15 months on appeal

Maria Sharapova's tennis career will resume sooner than expected.
The five-time grand slam champion has had her two-year drugs ban reduced to 15 months by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), meaning she will be back in time for the French Open in May 2017.
Sharapova tested positive for banned substance meldonium at the Australian Open in January and was subsequently banned for two years by the International Tennis Federation (ITF).
But CAS has shaved nine months off that original verdict, meaning Sharapova is eligible to compete again on April 26. "The panel wishes to point out that the case it heard, and the award it has rendered, was only about the degree of fault that can be imputed to the player for her failure to make sure that the substance contained in a product that she had been taking over a long period remained in compliance with the anti-doping rules."
Sharapova immediately expressed her relief at the reduction of her ban, and took aim at the ITF, saying she hoped it would learn from this experience.
"I've gone from one of the toughest days of my career last March when I learned about my suspension to now, one of my happiest days, as I found out I can return to tennis in April," she said in a statement Tuesday.
"In so many ways, I feel like something I love was taken away from me and it will feel really good to have it back. Tennis is my passion and I have missed it. I am counting the days until I can return to the court. I have learned from this, and I hope the ITF has as well. CAS concluded that "the panel has determined it does not agree with many of the conclusions of the (ITF) Tribunal."

No comments:

Post a Comment